My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Outlining Kills Spontaneity!

Or does it?

Have you been to that place, Wavers? That place when you start to outline the broad strokes of your script when suddenly all the gears in your brain start whirring and you keep getting sidetracked with details like one line of dialogue that would be cool in some scene you haven’t yet written? Like silver fish darting in the depths of the ocean, Cool Bits are elusive and we fear that if we don't net them now - we'll lose them. And the truth is, we might. So what do we do?


Something I often tell my clients is that they need to remember to eat their vegetables. Five servings a day, how you doing on that, Wavers? No, what I really mean by that is that screenwriters get really excited about those GREAT setpieces, lines of dialogue, action sequences in super slo-mo or super romantic moments. But you cannot forget the brass tacks of the story. I resisted outlining for many years but it was after bitter and painful experience that I learned that outlining is my lord and savior. Metaphorically speaking. Oh Jesus, now I'm going to offend somebody. And Wavers - would it be the Rouge Wave if I didn't use about a thousand mixed metaphors daily? No. It wouldn't. Fish, vegetables, brass tacks, Jesus. It's just another day at the Rouge Wave.

But. Outlining is a good thing, let's put it that way. In fact, I would never, ever, write a script without an outline. Your outline is your net.


So what about the Cool Bit Silver Fish? Doesn't outlining quash the creative process? Isn't it boring? Won't you forget that little silver fish that swam briefly into your line of vision while outlining the second act and said - write this! This is a cool bit! Wavers, those little silver fish of spontaneous creation are part of the wonder and the mystery of writing. But they are also distracting as all get out. Follow the silver fish of Cool Bits at your own peril for soon you will be like Nemo, lost in a murky sea of silver fish - with no structure in sight.

Is there a compromise between our right and left brain impulses when writing?

WWBD? The answer lies, as Buddha said, in the middle road. The details, the cool bits, the lines of dialogue that come to us when we’re driving or in a meeting or listening to how our partner's day went or folding socks should not be missed. Nor should they distract. There is a way to net the silver fish.

Think of your outline as your fishing net. When you are working on your script, whether you are in outline stage or actually into pages, it’s helpful to buy index cards for just this purpose. Note at the top of the card, which act or sequence the Silver Fish goes in, then jot it down. Keep the cards in order by act or sequence and put a rubber band around them. Carry them around in your purse or back pocket so they are available when inspiration strikes.

And when you’re working on your outline and feel the urge to jot down a cool bit – go ahead and do so. Jot it, label it and file it. Get that silver fish in the net before it swims away. Then get back to that outline which is the shape that will not only hold the silver fish but also give the whole script its shape.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

8 comments:

PJ McIlvaine said...

I hear you, O' Mighty J, but by the time I take a shower, blow dry my hair, do the wifey and Mama chores, get in the car, put gas in the car, drive to Wal-Mart or CVS to buy those pesky index cards...I'm already on page 45.

I need a bigger net. Or a bigger aquarium.

Mel said...

I wrote on this same topic the other day. It's the eternal argument, isn't it? We start off as freshmen screenwriters, thinking outlines stifle our creativity. Then we slowly realize that the 90 pages of rambling wouldn't need a page 1 rewrite if we'd figured out where we were going with it ahead of time.

Style Bard said...

love the fish metaphor!

I wish, I wish, I wish you could make me into an outliner, Julie. Please do!

Julie Gray said...

SO TRUE Mel, lol.

Style - why don't you come on over for a cupcake and glass of milk and we'll talk outlining?

As for your other question, all I have is my own experience to draw from, but I would have to say that being devastatingly attractive is sometimes a pain I do believe it has helped me on the whole.
xo

Anonymous said...

Great topic, and one I've been wrestling with the past few months. I was a reluctant outliner (to say the least), which could explain why I always ran out of steam 40 pages into my script. That's where my creativity runs dry and my poor fish are flopping on the shore. But, last week when I got my brilliant script idea I actually sat down and outlined the whole thing. And I must say the huge sigh of relief must've been heard across Los Angeles. Oh...I thought...that's why people do it. For the first time in the five years since I started writing screenplays I know EXACTLY what's going to happen in my work of progress. And all those ideas, set pieces and bits of dialog are still there in my head.

Bobby Revell said...

Hi Julie! I really enjoy your blog and it's very nice to meet you. I think every writer has to find what works for them and to continually try fresh approaches. Often, I conceive the plot in my mind, and then write in a very improvisational manner, often coming up with unique twists as I go. I couldn't always do that, but as I've gained experience, I find myself getting lost in writing and it just seems to happen on it's own. I am just beginning to write screenplays based on my own fiction. It has actually helped my fiction writing in new ways because of the way screenplays are constructed. Anyway, great post!

Have a wonderful day:)

Belzecue said...

"Oh Jesus, now I'm going to offend somebody..."

Hahaha. Love it.

OK, here's what works for me. It's a sort of pyramid scheme, but not like those creepy ones where you have to recruit/rip-off your soon-to-be-ex friends.

Stage One: start with four sentences, one per Act -- yes, scriptkids, A-B1-B2-C, or if we aren't pussy footing around then A-B-C-D. Power sentences, subject-verb-object, active verbs, punchy, provocative.

There you have it: your movie told in one tight, four-sentence paragraph.

Refine, refine, rework, refine. When you're happy with it, and you're sure the paragraph would hook your attention if printed in the TV Guide, it's time to expand...

Stage Two: expand each single sentence/Act into its own full paragraph of four (or more) sentences. Now you have a page outlining your story. Be sure to stick closely to the original four lines/Acts, which form the essence (or DNA, as Julie would say) of your Acts.

Feel free to go back and rework your original four sentences if you have new ideas or epiphanies. Just be sure to flow those changes through to your paragraphs.

Stage Three? If you've spotted a pattern in this process, you're already ahead of me. Here, you expand your single page into four pages total, one for each Act.

Stage Four: expand each single Act page into four. Now you have four pages per Act, 16 pages in total outlining your story. Nice work!

You can keep growing by a factor of four, expanding each four-page Act into 16 pages, totaling 64 or so. This might be overkill or appropriate, depending on the nature of your story.

Just remember, whenever you make a significant story change, you have to refactor the whole thing from the top of the pyramid down: each Act's sentence -> the paragraph -> the single page -> the four pages. Don't let your pyramid get wonky or unsupported.

YMMV but works great for me, being someone who regularly wanders off the allotted path to chase drunk leprechauns (my version of 'cool silver fish') when left unsupervised by the burly, shaved-headed orderlies working at the Institute.

Style Bard said...

Julie, if I weren't an East Coaster, I would be on your doorstep. I'd even bring my own milk, and a freshly sharpened pencil. Hear you me, next time I'm in your area, you'll be hearing from me. ;)