My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Do You Need Professional Help?

Sure as the rite of Spring that Nijinksy evokes, once a year on the screenwriting message boards, a furious debate begins – whether using a screenwriting consultant is a good thing or whether screenwriting consultants are craven, blood-sucking vultures out to steal your money and laugh long into the night as they sip absinthe and boast of ripping off “newbies” and ordering more and yet more caviar.

Years ago, when I was a “newbie", I used several screenwriting consultants. I was able to afford the expense and it never occurred to me that I was being preyed upon. In fact, I found the notes quite useful and I credit them, to no small degree, in being part of my evolution as a screenwriter. I guess I’m just a cornfed farm girl Pollyana but I saw (and see) no difference between a professional who gives notes and feedback on scripts and a professional who does my taxes. It’s something I need help with, just like changing the oil on my car or choosing the best cabernet. I aver to the opinions of professionals and of course, I aspire to learn from them.

A client said to me recently that he hoped that eventually, his writing skill set would make him a better judge of his own material. And that’s true; the more experience you have, the better you will become not so much at spotting problems but avoiding them in the first place. If you learn from past mistakes and if you write continually and read other scripts often.

But you can never be truly objective of your own work. I don’t think any writer ever gets to the point when they don’t need feedback. Feedback is a beautiful thing; it sometimes points out the obvious, it sometimes reveals opportunities that just never entered your mind and most importantly, it puts some distance between you and your material. Never doubt the power of a set of fresh eyes.

But I’m a consultant, of course I’m going to say this, right? Do you want to know the truth? I still get feedback on my scripts – from paid consultants. And I’ve given feedback on scripts to screenwriting consultants who are my peers. I read and evaluate scripts every day but it doesn’t make me immune from needing help myself. Because MY script is my baby, my little genius, my personal emotional investment. So I need another set of eyes to tell me where I’m falling down.

In the perfect world, if you have friends who are also screenwriters, who are on the same level of writing as you are, whose opinions you trust and who are plugged in to the industry – go for it. But for many, this perfect storm of skill, opportunity, proximity and trust do not exist. So they turn to people like me.

As for me, when I need notes, I use a pen name and assign my script to one of my colleagues and I include a check. What – like they’re going to tell the boss lady the script sucks? This is too important for me to take that chance. Plus, my ego can handle it. Yes, yes, my story analysts get a little cranky when I reveal that I am in fact, the Cheryl Greenblatt whose script they just read. But I want absolutely honest notes. I am happy to say Cheryl Greenblatt, girl genius that she is, got a “consider” last go-round. Maybe someday I'll get her autograph.



If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

6 comments:

potdoll said...

really enjoyed this post. thanks. x

Style Bard said...

I think you're preaching to the choir, here. =)

I absolutely depend on outside feedback, the more honest and professional the better, and simply the more the better.

Julie Gray said...

SB - you would be surprised - SHOCKED, I daresay, at the bile directed at screenwriting consultants on message boards. I hope there's a choir somewhere. I don't know why we don't all rise up and bludgeon the dentists and tax accountants of this world in the same way, lol.

Unknown said...

I sit here, trying to convince myself to enlist your services. I know it'll help and make my script better.

I know it will.

As far as the message board lynching consultants get, man I don't get it.

Julie Gray said...

Unbelievably, one anonymous poster sent me an angry comment upholding the same kind of bs that I was referring to. Something along the lines that if I personally have not yet sold a script, then I am like a dentist who has not quite completed dental school and who only KIND OF knows how to do dental work.

I didn't dignify it with publishing or responding to it but I will say here that being able to identify and articulate what is and is not working with a script and at least as importantly knowing how to communicate that to a writer in such a way that they get inspired and not defeated is a skill set not related to whether or not I have sold a script of my own yet. Selling a script is a rare combination of luck, timing and a great script - sometimes the script isn't even so great, that's the depressing part. That rare combination is something I can't teach and I can't make happen for someone. It is what it is.

But did I finish "dental school", so to speak? Uh - I dunno, look at my resume. I think that if working as a trusted reader for some of the most prestigious production companies in Hollywood matters - um, I think I have a diploma.

The argument that this nasty commenter has is absurd but you just cannot argue with one convinced they are correct. So I'm not going to give it air time beyond this.

Anonymous said...

Using paid consultants I learned the following:

- As mentioned, having sold a script or been a professional writer does not qualify a person to provide screenwriting consultation. A person is either a good script consultant with
a reputation to go with it, or they're not. I will make the case it is more difficult to build a professional screenwriting consultation business, than sell a script. You have to provide quality service day after day that lives or dies on repeat business and referrals.

Or one of my favorite posts from another script message board, "You can be a professional amateur or an amateur professional". It took me a few days to extract the meaning from that phrase.

-One advantage if you live in LA, you can speak in person with consultants and their customers. In many ways you need to evaluate the consultant as you would a dentist.

- On dental school, just look at Herbie The Elf. He wanted to be a dentist, studied after work, took a chance, set out on his own, found a great partner in Rudolph, and went on to save Christmas and tame the Abominable Snow Monster.