My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Obsequious - or polite?

21.) Try not to come off as obsequious and don't thank me for reading your email.

That was on the list that an anonymous producer posted on his list of query don'ts. And more than one Rouge Waver took exception to such a statement. Isn't it polite to be, well - polite? Of course it is.

But what I think the producer was saying, was that often writers check their self-confidence at the door and feel as if we must prostrate ourselves to get a read and then be ever so thankful when we do. It's part of our collective "pain body" (ha) as writers - we aren't worthy!

But Wavers - we are worthy. It's business. And guess who supplies the coal for the behemoth monster train which is Hollywood? Us. Robert Evans himself wouldn't live the life he does without the raw material that somebody wrote, alone, filled with neuroses and procrastination and doubt before he produced it. The kid stays in the picture indeed.

When communicating with a producer, executive, manager or agent remember this: Dignity. Always dignity. (As always, cupcake for the Waver that can name the 1950s musical that great dialogue comes from).

Obsequious:
marked by or exhibiting a fawning attentiveness

Professional:
following a line of conduct as though it were a profession

So remember, Wavers - it's business. Be polite. Be professional. Don't be an ass-kisser. You don't need to. You got the goods.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Singing in the Rain?

Great advice, BTW.

Julie Gray said...

Cupcake for you! :)

Morgan McKinnon said...

Actually what is happening here is this…
*Most* producers

(and I specify most because some have managed to maintain a level of human decency while they stumble around in the Hollywood jungle)

can’t handle kindness.

A kind word to them says that the writer lacks confidence. Which could not be further from the truth.

I think most writers know that they are worthy. I don’t believe that you could manage to write *anything* over 100 pages (good, bad, or ugly) without confidence.

Nah, Julie hon, I think it is the producers

(not all mind you, just most)

who are bankrupt when it comes to self-confidence.

Why else would they be so intimidated by the talent and brilliance of writers?

Julie Gray said...

Well, Morgan, I work with writers every single day and I find that the majority range from modest to downright insecure about their writing and their status on the food chain. And I've met producers who were perfectly centered, polite and respectful to writers as well. So I'd say I'll split the difference with you but in actuality, writers do need to be more confident and less obsequious. Moreover, the attitudes of producers is not something we have control over in any event.

Tyler said...

John August made a great speech about professionalism...

http://johnaugust.com/archives/2006/professional-writing-and-the-rise-of-the-amateur

Good readingtyl

Anonymous said...

Most people in Hollywood are "ass-kissers".

Most people in Hollywood sleep around.

Drugs, alcohol and money and sex make Hollywood go around.

Maybe, us screenwriters are not attending the right parties!!

There are no rules or logic in Hollywood.

Just make sure you become a producer one day so you can push your scripts or your freinds scripts.

Julie Gray said...

Uh oh, Anonymous is onto me. :)

Actually, Anonymous, I think that is a stereotype and while is grounded in *some* reality, in actuality, in my day to day I do not encounter sleazy ass-kissers, but rather, intelligent, creative, ambitious business people who love everything about movie. You experience what you expect to experience.

PJ McIlvaine said...

I end every query with "Thank you for your consideration." I don't thank them from the bottom of my heart or my children's hearts, and I don't go on and on about how much moolah my script will make them....