My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 15, 2008

The Bucket List & The Writer's Oath

So yesterday we talked about the primacy of love and how the best part is the anticipation - the yearning for it and how that needs to be built in to your script on every page so that we just - can't - hardly - wait to see the couple you know, be a couple. And stuff. Library scene in ATONEMENT. Oh my goodness, pass me some ice.

Today the Wave-inatrix thought we'd take a 180 - or is it? - and talk about death and dying. By rights, all Rouge Wavers should, in solidarity with all which is intelligent, clever and authentic, go throw a nice, ironic as hell bucket of paint on any billboard you see for the lamentably god-awful BUCKET LIST. A terribly trite, completely cliched, skin-deep look at what you'd do if you knew you were dying - and you were super rich!

Recently, I spent some time with a good friend whom I hadn't seen in awhile. I knew she had cancer, but I hadn't heard the update. You see what's coming. We're driving down Fairfax when she says, rather off-handedly, it's in my bones. Stage four. A silence engulfed the car - as if all possibility for conversation had been sucked out the window. I gripped the steering wheel and was suddenly keenly aware of the traffic, the pedestrians, anything but what was being said. She went on talking about her teenaged daughters, and how they're dealing with it, etc. And all the while, I struggled with the elephant in the putative room - how long? Finally, after five minutes, aka an eternity of wrestling with what's polite in this situation, what is caring versus what is prying, what is needed here...I asked. The doctors said two to three years - two years ago. Silence.

What struck me later - no, really, even in the moment, is how terribly difficult death is to talk about when you're really, truly lookin' right at it. It's not an abstract, it's not a bucket list, it's the friend sitting next to you, who looks tired and who's voice is a bit dry these days.

Now, there's absolutely no need for me to enumerate why and how THE BUCKET LIST was a symbolic bucket of chum filled with easy observations, simple conclusions and sitting on top of a pyramid in Egypt - no, that would be easy pickins. Like taking candy from that freaked out baby in POTEMPKIN.

But folks, if you're watching a movie about death - if you don't feel the wind sucked out of your chest while you're watching - if you don't feel the absolute emptiness and difficulty of facing it - then you're watching crap.

Now the question becomes, as writers, how do we talk about death in a meaningful, moving, very real way - if we haven't really been around it? Or maybe we have. But it's a landscape, that closely examined - we pull away from. Sure, death can be funny, we can always laugh at death as a coping mechanism - DEATH BECOMES HER, WEEKEND AT BERNIE'S, etc. ad fun-um.

But if you're writing a movie about death, in all seriousness, this is the time, above all, when the writer's oath must be absolutely hewn to: Above all, endeavor to write of truth. One of my favorite novellas about death - well, my absolute favorite novella about death, actually, is The Death of Ivan Illych by Leo Tolstoy.

And, just off the top of my not-enough-coffee head, here are a few movies that either were centered around the topic or which had scenes dealing with it that were very memorable to me:

ORDINARY PEOPLE
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
THE HOURS
LOVE STORY
BEFORE NIGHT FALLS
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
FINDING NEVERLAND

The list could be much longer but again with the need for more coffee. See, the Wave-inatrix has to get up pretty early in the morning to greet the day for Rouge Wavers before moving on to the brass tacks of the day. Wavers probably have a mighty list of other movies dealing with death in ways great and small that were truthful and memorable. Feel free to list in comments.

Back to the car. With my friend. She's looking at the window, as we drive past The Silent Movie Theater and the flea market, scenes of LA life drifting by the window. I've lost a lot of friends, you know? She looked at me. It's not like in the movies, where everybody gathers around you. People are afraid to talk to me. I turned down the radio and took a deep breath. So - are you scared? And volumes of feelings came out of my friend, so relieved that somebody - anybody was willing to pry a little, to dig a little deeper, and find out more about how it feels to know you're going to die before your kids graduate from high school.

And it was a terribly difficult conversation to be a part of. And yet beautiful as well. Because she spoke of the truth of things. Of how it really, honest-to-god feels to know the clock is ticking such that last Christmas probably was the last one you'll ever see. Our conversation was sad, funny, touching and real. And when we parted ways, she held me and wept. And I went home and felt heavy as Davy Jones at the bottom of the sea. But I knew I had just experienced something really real that day. I had experienced something of the truth.

And that is why being a writer is so very hard on us, guys, because we feel these truths more deeply than other people. I truly believe that we are wired differently. But with that wiring, with that depth of feeling and observation combined with a deftness with words comes a responsibility - above all, endeavor to write of truth.





If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,

This moved me. What a simple thing, to ask, "Are you scared?" And how few of us have the courage to make the leap over our own fears to ask it?

I read Gail Sher's "One Continuous Mistake" some years ago, and loved her chapter on what she called The Frida Kahlo Principle. She wrote, "The greater the depth at which you tap your own personal truth, the greater relevance your writing will have to humanity."

I think this applies to writing about love, or death, or silliness.

~Kurt

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

I am a widow of four years and found your post incredibly touching. So brave and caring, whether you realize it or not, to ask your friend what she truly feels. People are afraid to know, to hear -- to be exposed to the raw, inconvenient emotions and feelings associated with illness and imminent death. Maybe it isn't anyone's fault, perhaps we all just need more education. May you be well. Elaine

Anonymous said...

This post hits home so much.

18 years ago on 1/23/90, my father died. Cancer also. He'd fought for two years and lost.

18 years and sometimes it still feels like yesterday.

So, I love what you're saying. Death doesn't always bring closure. It doesn't always bring resolution. Sometimes it leaves things every bit as messy as they were in life.

One of my favorite lines about death comes from "Steel Magnolias." *Spoiler alert for the 2 people who haven't seen it*

It's immediately after Shelby's funeral and Clairee asks M'Lynn if she's okay. Here's some of what she says:
"I'm fine! I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can't! She never could! Oh God! I am so mad I don't know what to do!"

That's exactly how it felt to me to lose someone too soon.

Jake Hollywood said...

And that is why being a writer is so very hard on us, guys, because we feel these truths more deeply than other people.

Actually, I disagree with that statement. We don't feel these truths more deeply than other people.

The difference between us and "other people" isn't that we feel more deeply. It's our willingness to rise above our pain, anguish, outrage, or happiness and tell these truths to others. We write because we can and do, not because others can't or won't.

That's the only difference between "us" and "them." Not anything else.

Emily Blake said...

The Buffy episode "The Body" also deals with death in a really interesting way. If you ever want to see it I can bring it over.

I've never dealt with the death of anyone extremely close, so when other people have to I honestly don't know what to do. A few weeks ago one of my coworkers who works next door to me lost her father. Then the other day she got off the phone outside my classroom, looked at me and said, "My mother just died."

I didn't know what to do or say. I offered a hug and she was awkward about it. And I just said, "That really sucks."

I felt like a real jerk.

Julie Gray said...

that sounds good, Emily, we'll have a Buffy afternoon. You have my email. About your friend - you know, it is so hard to know how to react. There is no easy answer. You hugged her. that was about as much as you could do. When I met my now ex-husband years ago, his mother had just died in a head on car accident a few months earlier. That's how he was pointed out to me - as the guy whose mother had just died. He was treated strangely, like a leper, like the reverse of a celebrity - not because he wasn't heretofore smart, funny and part of the social group but because of the intense awkward feeling that death left for everyone around him. I experienced a terrible loss a couple of years ago - not a death, a sudden abandonment - and I really fell apart. The best thing that people did for me was to just come over and cook and watch TV and be with me. There are no words for something as huge as death or cancer, or any shocking loss, but you'd be surprised how far a simple "do you need anything?" can go.

Jake Hollywood said...

Without trying to sound all smart-assy or callous or even rude, which I can certainly be, I want to ask if your friend is a writer? And if she isn't, do you think she feels her truth any less than you do?

Having dealt with the murder of my brother in the family home, and the attack of my parents in that same attack--who later died (nearly a year later) as a indirect result of their wounds and the emotions that followed, I'm here to tell you that "feeling" is something we all share. Our responses to our emotions to horrible situations, to tragedy, to perceived injustices, really don't vary that much. Some of us outwardly emote, others go inside themselves. Some of us write, some of us don't. But "feeling" resides inside us all, don't you think? And writers are not so special that we hold some sort of special "feel" device.

No, we're different, but it's not because of how "we" feel.

Julie Gray said...

Jake, I am so sorry to hear of what you and your family went through. That is awful.

Julie Gray said...

Jake - the whole point I was trying to make - go back to that horrendous waste of film, the Bucket List - is I'm not really sure how my friend feels. I'm not sure how I would feel. I think how it feels when it's you dying is probably different than imagining how it feels when you are dying. Did that make sense? I know what it's like to feel afraid for my life (long story, long ago, home invasion, nuff said) VIVIDLY (hint: your insides turn to ice water) but I don't know how it feels to know that I'm dying, slowly, painfully and that I won't be around next Easter. As writers, that's where it gets kind of weird because we in some ways feed off of imagining how other people feel, when we're not writing about how WE feel. I don't know what it feels like to be dying, I'm just pretty sure I wouldn't feel anything like what was portrayed in the Bucket List. And yes - my friend is a writer :)

Jake Hollywood said...

Thanks, Julie. I didn't mean to detract from the pain you must feel for your friend. It's a tougher situation knowing that death is imminent for everyone involved--for her, her family, friends, etc--then when it comes as a "surprise." Shocking to be sure, but in many ways easy to digest.

I think this is the first time I've publicly spoken (written) of the period in my history...but I know I'm not alone in having such a situation occur. And I'm just a sure that the "feeling" of those events didn't compel me to be a writer. And I feel that my emotional experience would've changed if I were a school teacher or a plumber or a writer.

The feeling is just what it is, y'know?

jimhenshaw said...

Thanks for this, Julie.

You've said more in these few words than all the notes and drafts and marketing research that went into "The Bucket List" could manage to create -- and you've touched more people than those people did with all their misguided millions.

I doubt I'm alone in passing on my heartfelt best wishes for your friend. And I'm sure she has found some comfort in knowing her daughters will be okay a world that includes people like you.

Anonymous said...

The feeling is just what it is, but it affects us, writers, differently, therefore we can say we feel differently.

I'm not comparing my loss to yours, not even close, but a devastating loss for me nevertheless. Both of my dogs died within a month during the Holidays. I've done my best providing the best cares and spent a fortune on surgeries and treatments. When I shared the bad news to my families, all they focused on was the amount of money I spent to save my beloved pets.

My families love animals, but don't understand where I come from, emotionally. They think I'm mad, and lonely and chronically depressed. I might be all that, but because I just lost my pets, and if they don't feel my loss and sorrow, I say they do feel differently.