My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

You Know How It Is

Recently the Wave-inatrix did something very clever. My partner and I had just finished another psychological thriller. We were going through our usual routine of getting various rounds of feedback from respected peers and colleagues. Four drafts later, I gave the script, under a pseudonym, to a production company reader and friend. I said it was the script of an acquaintance and wondered if he could give it a read. He did - promptly and thoroughly - and his notes were helpful, astute and smarter than hell. But of course - this guy reads at two of the top coolest production companies in town.

Later I broke it to him that it was actually my script. He felt terrible - not because his notes were harsh (he's a professional, after all) but because he felt he didn't put much heart into the notes. I feel terrible - he told me. I though it was just another read of a script by some schmoe in Ohio. You know how it is. Yes, I do know how it is. I don't do much production company reading anymore - my own consulting business keeps me too busy - but I know well the feeling of cranking out a read and a coverage one after the other and the profound feeling of disconnect from the writer or the material. Which is why I decided to go into business for myself and connect with writers and material.

The point is that while it's not really a pleasant truth, writers need to know that when your work is reviewed by a reader at a manager or agents office or lucky you, a production company, it is being read by someone who has become awful inured of the experience. When the reader knows who the writer is - suddenly there's a human face on the project. Which is why I signed up for the less personal experience. I wanted to know, from a top-rated, very experienced reader, what the reaction to my script would be. As it turns out - it wasn't bad. It's just that later, knowing it was me - he wanted to add some suggestions, recommendations and additional comments. Which was great and I consider myself lucky to know such a person.

How does a writer overcome the built-in prejudice that your script is "just another read of a script by some schmoe in Ohio"? Wow the reader on page one. Wake them up from their jaded, somnabulence. Readers love it. They love the delightful surprise that makes their job again interesting and exciting.

Make a summer resolution that you will rededicate yourself to your craft and to developing a voice, Wavers. Download five scripts this month upcoming and read them. Offer to read the scripts of friends. Don't be some schmoe with a script that has put a reader to sleep before they reach page two. Don't be some schmoe that readers crack jokes about. Be aware that this is what you're up against and upset the dominant paradigm by wowing a reader, so ready to be bored, so ready to not care, with your brilliance.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

2 comments:

The Other Pete said...

Getting a reality check like that is critical. In the best of all possible worlds, though, one gets the same experience that you got yourself - good notes that you know what to do with and a sense that you're on the right track. Even then, finding out that you're way off base is still useful feedback, just not as good for the ego.

Anonymous said...

Regarding your suggestion to download and read five scripts, what is your favorite site? Many sites offer only shooting scripts.