My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Getting Viewers Off the Couch

Have you ever been told that your script is not “big” enough or that it read like an episode of a television program? I have. And I read scripts currently that feel that way to me too. Now that I’m on both sides of the fence, I have gained an incredible education. What does “not big enough” mean?

It means your story does not have enough excitement, setpieces and memorable characters to really justify being on the big screen. It means your story is okay or good enough but it just doesn’t feel like a major motion picture. It’s heartbreaking to tell that to a writer and it’s heartbreaking to hear. I recently read a crime thriller that was very adept and fairly entertaining. But it definitely felt like an episode of CSI. Serviceable but not get a sitter, pay for parking, buy two tickets and dinner exciting.

And that’s what executives are looking for – scripts that have big, exciting setpieces, really scary moments, fantastic twists, inventive writing or huge belly-laughs. If you keep hearing that your script doesn’t feel “big enough” go back and look at your premise, first of all. Is it really that unique? Or does it fall under the pretty-good category? Would the story attract an A-list actor who could just as soon stay on their private island for another three months? Would it persuade your stodgy brother-in-law to put down his Coors, leave Major League Baseball alone for the night, get in the car and drive to see a movie? More and more these days, even yours truly gives serious consideration as to whether or not to head out to the movie theater. Tickets are expensive. Lines are long. Parking is a bummer. Concessions are expensive. Why go to the theater when I can go to my local video store, rent a movie or watch tv in the comfort of my own home?

And that’s what we’re up against, Rouge Wavers – television programming and dvd rentals. Television has taken a huge bite out of the box office. There is fantastic writing going on in the world of television and wonderful original movies on Showtime and HBO. Why should a movie-goer leave the house to go see your movie?

You have to see it on the big screen. Have you ever said that to someone? Well - that's what you want your script to read like - wow - this is going to be GREAT on the big screen. This isn't just a heist story or a romantic coming-of-age - this is a MOVIE.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

6 comments:

JPS said...

I think that often "bigness" to some writers means car chases and explosions, while sometimes what often seems "big" on the big screen is the emotional interaction of two actors, such as the two leads in "Notes on Scandal".

Seeing this in the cinema made me think that what worked there wouldn't necessarily have the same impact on my TV. And I think it's because the emotions being portrayed are indeed "big", and that in fact one of the characters is something of a monster (think Godzilla dressed as Dame Judi Dench), while the other is caught in a moral conundrum that has reeled out of control. You really do need to see these people in all their cinematic largeness to understand the knots and binds that tie them together. So that this intimate series of interactions becomes something indeed big and potentially tragic. Bigness, like the oak tree, can often be contained in the acorn of a simple human error.

annabel said...

Great post! It is something for me to think about concerning one of my scripts. Hmmm...

screen scribe said...

I often find myself thinking of the "bigness" of my screenplays. How will each scene play out, how will it translate to the big screen, will it still be effective if on DVD?

I don't know if I'm overthinking things, but nonetheless, great post.

Christian H. said...

I guess "bigness" can be subjective, though. What may rock the worlds of 18 year old girls my not play well to 18 year old boys, unless you can combine elements attractive to both.


My personal "baby" started out NC17 and then became PG13, now it would probably get an R.

I actually noticed that it would have a sizzling trailer with violence, drug, pretty smiles, interestingly funny jokes, etc. so I stuck with the premise and upped the ante in Act II.

Julie Gray said...

"bigness" or, more professionally, production value or cinematic quality as they say in the tonier circles, is completely subjective. That's the thing that makes one gnash one's teeth and get an eye twitch. But at the same time, it's important to be aware that the single biggest threat to our livelihood as screenwriters is the comfort, ease and quiet of the couch at home. So we have to write movies that motivate audiences to get out there and experienced the glory, the power and the JOY of going to the movies.

Team Brindle said...

I used to stress hard over the "bigness" of my stories. When i started writing, I tended to write smaller, naturalistic, Indie-types movies. I knew they had to go bigger.

I think a lot of it had to to do with being afraid to go way out there and risk looking stupid.

I still don't write big epics or CGI F/X movies, but I'm a lot more comfortable in making my ideas & visuals bigger & more dramatic.