My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 8, 2007

The Secrets of Dealing with Adversity

It's that time again, Rouge Wavers! No, not time for a cocktail. Not yet. Give it another hour. Geez. Buncha degenerates!

No, it's time for blog tag! And The Wave-inatrix is "it" thanks to her dear friend Scott at Filmflap. The topic comes from the aptly named Adversity University and is - wait for it - dealing with adversity.

Adversity is something the Wave-inatrix is intimately acquainted with. On a level and to a degree to which I could never have imagined. How do I deal with it? My top five self-soothers are: 1) prayer and meditation 2) swimming laps 3) getting out and seeing movies or friends 4) maintaining perspective by continuing to write and be proactive and 5) making a commitment to be a grateful optimist and not an annoying whiner; you can't lose your support system faster than by abusing it.

There's no two ways about it - it sucks to be going through adversity. You can't deny it or skip it or hit the fast forward button. A book that really helped me through a tremendously difficult time and left me with a new attitude about adversity is Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart.

The book left me with a priceless gift; that it is possible to view adversity from a whole new angle - as an opportunity for growth. When you think about it, it's not very often that things in our lives absolutely fall apart. The Wave-inatrix once lost everything I cared about in the space of an hour. Wow. Talk about free fall.

As you're hurtling straight down into a terrible void of tremendous upheaval or loss, you find that something interesting happens. You stop struggling and look around at the scenery whizzing past and realize - wow - I literally have nothing to lose. And in one of life's great paradoxes, there is something incredibly freeing about that.

So sure, you can have your coping mechanisms - and you should have them - but The Wave-inatrix can speak from deeply painful personal experience and say that accepting adversity as an opportunity is probably the greatest lesson adversity has to give you. It's not easy; human beings are hard-wired to suction cup onto sameness, routine, safety and normalcy with an iron grip. It flies in the face of our dna to let go and experience the free fall. We dwell in the great collective denial of a steadfast truth: adversity is a necessary and inevitable part of life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no ascended master. Adversity sucks. You'll hit the ground and it will hurt. But you won't die. And when you do hit the ground you look around and find yourself in a brand-new landscape. Changed, chastised, wiser and stronger. I wouldn't trade the adversity I have experienced for anything in the world. And the best part is? I no longer fear it.

And now the Wave-inatrix creeps up on and tags:

Manolo the Shoeblogger
Borderline Inappropriate
Development Hell
Uninflected Images Juxtaposed
Living the Romantic Comedy

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this above my computer:

Adversity is inevitable, misery is optional.

Regards,
Mike

Stephen J. Hopson said...

Julie:

What a wonderful summary of what adversity can do to the unsuspecting person who has the power to make choices at that moment. I love the steps you outlined, particularly the swimming option. I used to be a swimmer in high school and college!

Thank you for participating in my Adversity University tagging experiment! I'm so glad you took a moment out of your busy schedule to inspire others, including myself!

I always feel my heart and soul lifted when I read about other people's experiences because they remind me that all of us share adversity in common and that we can, if we perservere enough, rise out of it!

Thanks so much!

Stephen Hopson
www.sjhopson.com

p.s. I loved what Mike had to say in the above comment about how adversity is inevitable but that misery is optional - totally your choice. What wisdom!

Julie Gray said...

Mike: that's GREAT!

Stephen: oh! so honored that you visited the Rouge Wave! I am also a big fan of What the Bleep Do We Know and I am struck by the way in which we co-create our experiences each day. We do have choices and do not need to be enslaved by circumstances or emotions. But we are a society addicted to our emotions; everyone has an inner Drama Queen. Conquer the Queen, conquer fear.

wcdixon said...

Yikes...

Could it be about overcoming the adversity of being tagged?

Anonymous said...

This summer marks the 5-year anniversary of my diagnosis with 2 different kinds of unrelated cancers (a medical rarity) at the tender age of 22 and on top of that I was informed that my movie theater (I was manager) would be shutting down the day after Labor Day. Bad things come in threes, I say! I had dropped out of college to work fulltime and now I was sick and I was about to not have a job. F-ing brilliant. And I hadn't started writing my first screenplay yet. Flash forward 5 years... Cancer-free last time we checked (I actually have a blood test due). I just graduated summa cume laude with a B.S. in Mulimedia Design in January. I have a decent job that pays me okay, but I could do better I think. And I'm rewriting my second screenplay and loving it. I just had a breakthrough today. Whenever I have a crappy day, I try to remember to think, "At least it's not 2002." And, hey, at least I have plenty to write about.

MaryAn Batchellor said...

Needed this. Thank you.

Julie Gray said...

Velysai: thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations on your health and happiness; you're right, something like, I don't know - CANCER sure puts the days most of us complain about in perspective. Again, so glad you're doing better!

Maryan: you keep that Rouge Waver chin up! No Waver left behind!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Great post!