My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 4, 2007

Is a Writing Partner for You?

Is writing with a partner something you've given thought to? Does it sound attractive or horrifying? Helpful or strangulating? The Wave-inatrix has actually written three feature scripts with a partner and for me, the experience has been wonderful.

Let me describe my partnership a bit:

My partner and I live on opposite coasts. So we spend a lot of time on the phone. We have different hours (by dint of time zone and habit)and we have different styles (I work in short bursts, he works for longer chunks of time) we have an age difference (all right, I'm older) and naturally we have differences in our collective experiences. But despite all that, we write very, very well together.

Here is what we do:

When we're developing an idea for a script, we brainstorm on the phone and via email. A lot. We make notes, we jot things down. We listen to each other and at this point, we finish each other's sentences. We work together in this way until we beat out the story in the form of a 12-sequence narrative. For my partner, having been a novelist, this was at first a strange idea. But now he's quite expert at it and in fact worked out our last sequential in about an afternoon - by himself. We're like evil twins; we're unstoppable. We never sleep. Not a day goes by that something isn't happening with our work.

Once we have our 12-sequence narrative beat out, it's somebody's turn to start pages. Doesn't matter who it is; we feel joint ownership over the project. We collaborate intensely, we divest ourselves of ego, we don't write anything we aren't both excited about and man, do we crank out pages. If my partner has more time to work on it then he produces more pages that day or that week. He understands that because of my lifestyle, I often have to work catch-as-catch-can, late at night or early morning. It all works out in the end.

Once either of us writes some pages, we date and save the script and send it on to the other. The first thing either of us does is review the pages already done, go through and make amendments and tweaks, then look at our 12-sequence narrative outline and write the next set of pages. And so forth. We leave each other a lot of script notes. They have become more and more entertaining. Often they are funny or frustrated or a cry for help:

*I have no stupid idea how this stupid stupid moment should work.
*There is NO way they'd serve corndogs at this restaurant.
*LOL! Coffeemate!!
*I disagree. Basqiat sounds like "basket". They'll never get it.
*Be funny if she shot him right in the ass. Too bloody?

Our script notes are mini-conversations that pepper the script. We delete them and create new ones. But the beauty part is that when one of us is stuck on something? Too tired to describe it or at a loss for any reason? We don't do it. We just leave a note.

Because we've worked together pretty intensely for some time now, we don't make committee meetings out of small tweaks. We trust each other. Though our writing styles are different, they compliment each other very well. Often, when we review pages, we can no longer tell who wrote which line. They start to blur.

For me, this partnership has been amazing. My writing time is limited but I have someone to cheer me on, kick my behind and I have someone to pass the baton to when I'm just out of juice on a given day. Working with a partner, like any relationship is not a completely easy, carefree thing. But imagine how much more material a well-oiled partnership can produce. We scare ourselves. And yes, we have a partnership agreement through our attorney.

The commiseration factor is worth its weight in gold. We worry together, we strategize together and we keep our collective spirits up. When something doesn't go our way we have each other to talk it over with. When something wonderful happens, we are proud of each other and of our partnership as a whole; having a writing partner means not feeling quite so alone in this whole rag and bone shop business.

Here are some things to consider if you're looking for a partner:

Choose someone:

  • who is your intellectual and writerly equal.

  • who you can argue with and not stay mad

  • who is committed to the project and to a career

  • who acts professional and takes this damn seriously

  • who has a nimble and flexible mind; compromise is necessary for the greater good of the project

  • whose judgement you trust. You might not always agree - but you trust the intention

Your writing partner doesn't have to live nearby, they don't have to share your writing style (exactly) but they do have to be someone who adds to the sum of your own writing in a positive way. It's not always easy - we've had our moments - but we share something crucial: a dead-ahead determination and lucky us, personalities and writing styles that blend very well.

Do NOT work with a writing partner if:

  • it's a short-term solution to get a project done quickly

  • you don't admire and respect their writing ability; you must be a mutual fan club

  • you don't take criticism well and get defensive; this is very collaborative

  • you don't share the same goals for the project
If you're considering partnering or already are, make it legal, make it professional and let 'er rip. Writing is usually a solitary endeavor; having a partner breathes air into what can be a lonely experience. If you work alone and always have and cannot imagine sharing the experience, don't do it. But when you get to the point of taking meetings and developing your material with executives, the ability to be articulate, collaborative and social will serve you very, very well.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I ask how you met? Did one see the others writing and say hey you have brains I have brawn let's make lots of money? You must also have an agreement on how to market the material
Because I often read scripts that are better ideas than I have at the moment, and they will have very long wandering exposition that I feel can be squeezed down into a high impact sentance or two.
What would be the proper approach to solicit a writing partnership?
I would also assume the partnership would have to set mutual goals, schedules like any business, and even split expenses. Since you have been an active screenwriter for several years, can you describe how partnerships come about? Do they ever come together from the internet alone. What made you decide to go into the partnership, was it the advantage of more product or more opportunities to have material read? I would be glad to let someone help improve my material. It's almost as if one has to find a person who has hit a dead end on their own and is ready to try another way thru partnership. Is there such a thing as a "hey you have more access than me I relinquish the majority of any proceeds if you get us action" partnership?

Julie Gray said...

Hi Geena! Well, my partner and I had a very happy, serendipitous story. We met on the Done Deal message board and were just mutual admirers. I could tell that JP was very intelligent and he had a really amazing background as a published thriller novelist. He had some meetings in LA on a script and we met for martinis and just talked for hours and had a great time. We continued being friends and then I wrote a thriller and I just wasn't that happy with it. I didn't really have any big strategy for the script I just thought hey - he knows from thriller, I'd read his scripts, I liked his work - huh, wonder if he could help me kick this to a new level? And he did. We had a blast, we wrote it quickly and we got repped and the script into meetings at Fox as well as some other pretty amazing places. It's still making the rounds in fact and is with some A-list actors.

We will split all proceeds from our partnership evenly because while I might be the one acting more in the capacity of making connections (I am, by dint of geography, the face of our team) the hours and pages HE puts in make it totally equal. We have different roles but it all evens out in the end.

Maybe different partners would work that out in another way. I'm sure, like snowflakes, every partnership is unique.

I don't think it's improper to solicit a partnership but it's more ideal in my opinion, if it's someone you have gotten to know.

I wouldn't partner up and relinquish anything because you *think* this person might get more action. I would really keep things pretty equal. You don't want to partner from a place of weakness, i.e., I NEED this partner because I can't do xyz alone, or they NEED me because xyz thing they do is weak but rather view it as a merging of your super powers. You each bring something valuable to the table and leave each other stronger for it. In some ways you might compare it to the makings of a bad marriage; I'll marry him because he'll take care of me and make me complete! Oy vey. As opposed to coming into a relationship as unique, strong individuals able and willing to be independent but happy to cooperate and do something together which didn't exist before.

JPS said...

"All right, I'm older". Yeah, right. Flattery will get you everywhere, dear partner. While Julie was still in Pampers I was in the East Village doing things I won't mention here.

May I, as the unnamed partner Julie so very nicely wrote about above, add my 2¢? I think one of the very many reasons we work well together is that we have two very distinct sensibilities. As she mentioned, I've been a novelist for more years than I care to count, though my career began when I wrote a 50-minute teleplay when, because of publishing conditions here in the US, I upped and moved to England for a year. A year turned to five, but the script got me an agent, who in turn found me an agent for my novels, and my first novel, because my scripts had been read and liked, was commissioned to be adapted by me.

So I come from a very different world, and thus she and I have very different strengths. As Julie knows, I'm good at moments and mood; while Julie is brilliant at structural issues, which of course are the backbone of screenwriting. So I've learned a great deal about screenwriting from her, in fact more than from any of the many books I've read by so-called professionals.

She also has a stupendous eye: I can write a scene, and she'll say (and yes we are this frank with one another as writers): "Uh-uh, doesn't work," but then she tells me why, which is where the learning comes in.

I think what makes a partnership work on the commercial level is in achieving a particularly original way of seeing things. We can take what in other hands would become a B-picture gothic horror and turn it into a dark social satire/thriller, simply because when the idea came to us we saw it from many different angles all at once. Thus dimensionality is something we bring to the process.

Obviously there's so much more I can say about the positive aspects of this partnership, but I think Julie has really said it all.

Thanks, pard!

Julie Gray said...

Actually, I wasn't in Pampers; I was raised by hippies in the woods; when I wasn't buck naked, I was in organic cloth diapers which my mother washed in the stream and hung to dry in the sun - in the middle of her "herb" garden.

JPS said...

I'd like to respond to Geena's question, if I may, Julie, about ideas that are brisk and sharp and selling. Geena, one of the things Julie and I constantly do is "test" material. There are a few criteria: can it be summed up very simply, in one or two sentences? And does that idea generate endless plot possibilities. These are both good signs of a script worth developing.

As for the business end of things, yes, Julie and I have an attorney and an agreement. If one of us brings an original story (as was the case when we first got together), then the creator of the story will be credited as such, and paid that much more. But since then we've developed ideas together.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I'm just starting a partnership myself. I am really curious about your 12 sequence document. What needs to be in that document before you start your draft?

Julie Gray said...

Dear Anonymous: I can't link in the comments section or if I can I sure don't know how. If you go to May 20th on the Rouge Wave, you'll see a post about the 12 sequence narrative. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Doh! Ya know .. I'd actually read that when you first posted it. I was glad to re-read it now that I'm more prepared for the info. Thanks a lot.

Julie Gray said...

Doh! is a very endearing personal quality to the Wave-inatrix. Mostly because were it not for the post-its that cover her forehead she would never make her way out the door fully clothed, keys in hand and purpose in mind. Doh! indeed.