My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Do You Have Talent?

Can talent be taught or are you just born with it? Have you got it? How do you know?

It’s an awkward thing to talk about, right up there with prescriptions for odd body parts and the balance in your checking account. It’s easy to say other people aren’t talented but you’d never admit that you do - or don't have talent yourself. The subject engenders great anxiety; you run the gamut from suspecting you are talented to seriously doubting that. Maybe you’re not talented – you’re proficient. Can proficiency, nurtured daily, blossom into talent?

The Wave-inatrix believes that most writers with talent are born with it. And once given that gift, become 1) a savant who soars meteorically with no formal training, 2) dead to it because they are not encouraged or courageous enough to explore it or 3) doggedly committed to developing and shaping that talent until they find a way to use and express it. Wavers, we want to shoot for options 1 and 3.

Writing talent is a bit ephemeral; those who read professionally can tell immediately if a writer really has a gift or if they are just a well trained mechanic. But it’s hard to describe; it’s as if a ghost walked through you. There’s a ripple of something impossible to nail down. Proficient writers may be engaging – but not haunting. Writers with no natural knack for it, well, that’s like nails on a chalkboard.

How do you know if you have talent? Well, the Wave-inatrix not only cannot diagnose each writer theoretically but would never be so presumptuous as to make such a sweeping proclamations. Who can really define talent? Who can be the final word on that?

That said, here are some indications that you might have natural writing talent:

  • You write all sorts of things not just scripts – and you always have. You have boxes, piles, notebooks and cocktail napkins covered with writing.
  • You love words. You love the way they sound, you spell them correctly, you use them inventively, you look things up, you're a word stickler. Admit it, you're a word freak.
  • You have been told for literally years that “you should write”. By people in the position to know, i.e., not your mom and best friend.
  • You won a poetry or short story contest in grade school. It was horribly embarrassing but secretly the zenith of your 4th grade experience.
  • You read a lot. In fact, you have a sliding pile of great books by your bedside. You have been banned from the local used book shop for overshopping. It's an obsession.
  • You have been published somewhere; a newsletter, a small pamphlet, a magazine; doesn't matter how large or small the publication. Doesn't matter if you got paid.
  • You keep a journal – and have for years – and it’s philosophic and melodic. Okay and sometimes whiny but you have a primal need to write down your feelings; you love to hear yourself write.
  • You are a bit mercenary; you are strangely, stubbornly, stoically disinterested when some jackass doesn’t like your work. Unless they are an editor or teacher and your work will improve with their help.
  • Sometimes your writing is intensely personal and not fit for public consumption. Other times it is absolutely directed at readers. You know the difference.
  • You hear a rhythm in words; you love the way they sound together. You might spend a whole day murmuring mellifluous to yourself.
  • When you write, the world stops. It’s the best thing ever and you never want to stop, even if you never make money doing it because that’s never really been the point.
  • You really will never, ever, be truly convinced you have talent. Rather, you aspire to have talent.

You may need to rethink whether writing is really your talent if:

  • Your grasp of language is weak and you really don’t care that much.
  • You don’t read very much; who has time?
  • You have never written anything but a script and you’re not interested, either. Poetry is for wusses, the last journal you owned had a key and you were 13.
  • You’ve never been told that your writing really had an emotional impact on someone. And no, that "poem" on the bathroom stall doesn't count.
  • You make a lot of spelling and usage mistakes – and it doesn’t bother you that much; that’s why there’s spell check.
  • You’ve never bothered with a class; you don’t need to tend natural genius and besides, you'd miss reruns of The Office.
  • You get defensive when anybody criticizes your writing; your writing is and always has been unassailable!
  • You’re convinced you have talent and you know this because your mom and best friend have told you so.
  • You're exploring screenwriting because, to be absolutely honest, you heard screenwriters can make a lot of money.

More than anything, writing is a weird obsession; we love it, we hate it, we hope to succeed, but mainly we just can't stop. Yes, it is absolutely true that some writers are more talented than others. But in the spectrum of writing out there today, everything from literary fiction to essays to how-to and cookbooks, there may be a place for you. Maybe it isn't screenwriting, but if you love to write - keep doing it and see which discipline is the place for you. Don't be hasty to judge whether others have talent unless you're being paid to make such a slippery call. If you're not such a whiz with words - work on that. Conversely, if you are a writing savant, if your grocery lists are what others would enshrine as great poetry, maybe you need some discipline and focus.

Nobody can truly say with finality who has talent and who does not. The lists above are facetitious. Mostly. In the Wave-inatrix's experience working with writers, I have noticed a strange inverse relationship between writers who claim to have talent and those who really do. The best scripts I have read were given to me tentatively and the worst usually arrive with a red carpet and fanfare. It's quite interesting to me that those most convinced they have talent are generally dead wrong.

In a world filled with great writers, large and small, published and unpublished, it is dangerous to assume you are a genius. Humility is a good thing. For those Wavers who just aren't sure, here's the thing: keep trying. Validation from a professional source, whether that be a publication, an agent, teacher or competition is incredibly valuable. Keep working on developing your writing skills but have realistic expectations. You may never be Don DeLillo but maybe you'll be Janet Evanovitch. Hey, don't laugh; she's rich. And say what you will, she can obviously spin a tale. Serially.

The Wave-inatrix is smart enough to avoid the dangerous, thorn-lined path of who is a "real" writer: Ludlum versus DeLillo, King versus Poe, Fitzgerald versus Chabon, Frey, Palahniuk, Alexie Sherman, Danielle Steele...oh, it's just going to turn into a brawl. Tastes are completely subjective but whether a writer has "talent" is easier to measure. I'm not at all a fan of William Faulkner's work. But it is universally established that he was a formidably talented writer.

Measuring one's own talent is difficult to do. Give yourself the ego-test: how much are you invested in being thought of as talented versus simply giving readers great pleasure?


If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

8 comments:

ratskiwatski said...

It's a perfect circle, though, isn't it? Giving people pleasure makes you believe in your talent which is nice for the ego which makes you want to be even more productive and pleasing and get back to Sequence Nine instead of hitting the message boards...

Julie Gray said...

Most definitely, Ratty - you NAILED it. Well put.

annabel said...

This was a great post. I wish I had been born a Dickens or a Tolstoy or a Wharton. For a long time I felt that if I could never be one of the greats I shouldn't bother trying. I have since dropped my standards. As long as I am enjoying what I am doing it doesn't matter if I ever have an Oprah book club selection or a blockbuster movie (not that I wouldn't love those things to happen).

"Try, try, try again" is my slogan!

Christian H. said...

Talent is something that can be judged especially by your first list.
I can say that I don't care if I never sell a script. If I can have someone I respect say, "Hey I enjoyed that," I'm happy and empowered to say that maybe I don't suck.

I have been writing all my life in one form or another. I was spelling bee champ and National English Honor society member.

I have published poems, have a hip hop album, used to do marketing copy and wrote religiously in a journal until I decided I needed to write more things people would read.

I don't know if I'm talented but I know I can come up with story ideas. Some people may hate them, some people may love them, some people will probably be somewhere in between.

I mean just going from FADE IN to FADE OUT with 100 pages in between only means you're committed.

I know I'm striving for #3, but would love to emerge at #1. I think I put more into someone wanting to do my work than someone "liking" it.

Both are valuable but what would Shawshank have been without Morgan Freeman?

Hopefully, one day I can say, "Hey I wrote that line" when someone repeats it in context.

That's worth more to me than $700,000 against $2.5M. Just barely but it is.

My next step is to get another license for FD so I can write at work.

I will still hang out here (ScriboSphere) some as writing in a vacuum is bad for you.
Well, enough of that I have one day to finish this scene for the table read. I have my notes and direction. Hopefully I'll finish it tonight.

BTW, great post.

Peter said...

Couldn't agree more Julie. Like you, it's always struck me as odd that a lot of the really talented writers I've met have been the writers with the least amount of confidence. Strange how that works.

Team Brindle said...

I beleive people are born with varying degrees of talent (innate ability) in any particular field.

Some have tons of innate writing ability, some have a bit, some have close to none.

I also believe you don't need to have tons of talent, or be a "genius", or anything close to that to be a successful screenwriter. I think you need a little bit of talent and a lot of confidence.

But the thing is, i think you need several types of writing talents to be a screenwriter.

You need to be 1. a good wordsmith (as in be creative w/ words & phrases, etc). 2. You also need to be a good storyteller, be able to create char's, scenarios, themes, that keep people's attention. 3. Here's the kicker, you also have to be able to tell stories that can be turned into MOVIES.

There are a lot a good writers out there that can tell good stories, but how many of them tell stories that are MOVIES.

How many of those talented writers have that "commercial instinct"?

I also want to add: When it comes to having a successful pro screenwriting career, CONFIDENCE in more important than talent.

Abe Burnett said...

What a relief to hear that my own insecurity might, in fact, be evidence of my potential. For me writing is a struggle, but the only struggle worth engaging in. Everything else is meaningless. I'd probably make an excellent psychologist--if I cared enough to pursue such a career. I don't, so I won't. Whenever I think of doing anything else but writing, I feel nauseous. The only thing which stops me from hurling is the whispered reassurances to myself: "I was only kidding. Geez." So there's that; and then there's the fact that everything else I could do bores me to tears, makes me feel dead inside just at the mere suggestion that I might not write.
I am not perfect with my grammar, usage, or spelling, and the realization irritates me endlessly. I fret over my writing for that reason, and for the simple fact that it's never as good as it was in my head. I catch errors, small and large, in others' writing--often in noted publications.
Recently I discovered an author who's writing is so vibrant is nearly has a pulse. I don't know how I've managed to live 29 years of my life, and only just discover Kurt Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle was as tremendous an accomplishment as anything I've ever read--and I don't typically like "novels."
Regardless, since talent is impossible to objectively identify, all prospective writers should assume they have little talent--and focus on mastering whatever talent they have. That's my approach: assume I have no talent so that I'll work my butt off on developing what I do have; Thus assuring that I become the best writer I can be.

Dizzie said...

Thank you SO much for this post - I figured out I just might be talented!