My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Scriptus Interruptus

If you are a writer with more than a couple half-finished scripts, you really have to stop and take stock. Is this a pattern? Be really honest with yourself. Could you have Scriptus Interruptus?

Often a writer will start off strong, with an idea he or she is really excited about but somewhere in the second act, discouragement and confusion set in. The premise is dead-ending or becoming seemingly ridiculous. The writer feels like a rat in a maze; running down this alternative and that only to come up against a brick wall. After a few agonizing weeks, the writer bails out. The primary culprit is a premise that just doesn’t have enough story to make it all the way across the finish line. The solution: learn to thoroughly test your premise before you start pages. Develop this muscle and take it seriously. Don’t just jump into a script without a plan and without a solid sense of the story.

Without correcting the source of the Scriptus Interruptus, half-finished scripts pile up like so many empty beer cans and a feeling of futility sets in; I can’t do this. I can’t write and what kind of lousy person can’t follow through and and and….it’s a terrible trap. If you think this might be you, stop right now, breathe it out and without judging yourself, correct the problem.

Maybe your problem is not related to a weak premise. Maybe you have a fear of failure. If a writer completes a script then it will be read. By someone in the industry, maybe some snot-nosed assistant or intern and they will coldly dissect your baby, ripping it limb from limb and leaving you feeling empty and humiliated. What if the gilded dream of writing a movie is nothing but a torpid fantasy about to be popped by a needle-sharp bad coverage?

Rejection is part of being a writer. It’s a cliché but it’s true. Yes, when you finish your script it will be read, judged and likely passed on. But it may not get passed on by everybody. You only need one yes. And if that script can’t find a single fan – you write another one and hope that one will.

It is very important for an aspiring screenwriter to get some kind of industry feed back. Otherwise you are writing in a void. Whether you use a script reading service, a consultant or maybe a friend who reads in the business – get a reality check. How are you doing? Yes, it’s painful, it really is. But otherwise, how will you ever know how you measure up? The trick is to not take it personally. Every time a script gets a thumbs down, you must use that experience to learn so that you can do better the next time around. Be selfish about your negative feedback. Grab it, horde it, and use it to do better.

They say the average writer has written ten scripts before they become a WGA member. Whether that statistic is accurate or not, it’s probably a pretty good benchmark for newer writers to look to. The chances that your first, second or third scripts will be written much less received well is slim, relatively speaking. But you can’t get to fabulous script number eight without having done the time on numbers one through seven. It’s tedious, it is painful but a writer cannot learn and improve without putting some serious time and effort in.

Of course the paradox is that with every single script you write, you have to believe with all of your heart and soul that it is terrific. That’s why this business is so terribly difficult; having faith in the face of crushing odds is nothing short of attaining a kind of grace. Also, drinking helps.

So for some writers the easy way out is to never join the race. They get about halfway through a script and sort of – just – peter – out. They spend a lot of time discussing things on message boards; opining, judging and lol-ing. It’s much more pleasant to talk about screenwriting than it is to take your heart in your hands and just do it. But there is no other way, kids. You can’t go around it. You can’t skip over it. You have to go through it.

So take a good hard look at your inventory and your patterns. Are you a serial Scriptus Interruptus writer? Time to take stock and find out exactly why that is. You can change that pattern right now. Today. But if you choose to curl up in the wet blanket of fear-of-rejection-it's-not-fair victimhood - well, terrific.
Because you just left an open spot for some other writer who will can and will finish their script. And the next one and the one after that.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

10 comments:

Christian H. said...

Once again the Wave-inatrix to the rescue. Fortunately, the way I craft my scripts that should never happen.

I always do my sequence map first so that before I start to write, FADE OUT has already been reached.

Another thing that might stop peple is that the script turns into somehing else and the writer can't hack it apart and adjust it to fit what it wants to be.

That actually happened to me with a script I'm about 35% done with. It started out as an effort to shock, but then I realized that not only did I have to change characters but I had to totally change ACT 3.

It did hurt but I reached in and gutted everything. I intro'd new characters, dropped the size of other roles, and did even more to my hero.

If I hadn't went through and used the sequence map I now swear by, I may have been in Scriptus Interruptus.

I also am trying to figure if some scripts may work well with the 12 Sequence method you use.

Anyway,

Keep Writing as Writing is the Revealing of the Soul.


Maybe you'll give me some feddback on my current project when it's ready by the middle of June.

I hope to get done in time for the Final Draft Contest.

Anonymous said...

You stole my saying "scriptus interruptus!" I used it just last week.

How dare you?!?

Stercus Accidit

p.s. - love the blog.

Team Brindle said...

Scriptus Interruptus has been a big problem for me over the yrs.

I have around 10 scripts in various stages of done-ness.

But i didn't just start 1 project, stop, & then go on to another.

Instead, i would stop & then not write for months at a time. I would lose interest in writing & get distracted by other things in my life.

Then after a while i would go back to writing, only to find i'd lost interest in that particular project. That's when i'd start another one.

I started writing scripts in '91. I have yet to wite anything i feel is of profession quality.

A couple of yrs ago i decided i needed to stop this pattern & get serious about my writing.

Here's what i do now:

-- I make sure my concepts are commercially viable. Part of my problem was that my early concept were small indie/art house stories that i new would be a tough sell.

-- I've developed a detailed, step-by-step, writing process that i follow religiously. This takes a lot of the guess work & anxiety out of the process.

-- I'm not as hard on myself as i used to be. I know that i'm not a genius & my scripts aren't masterpieces. But i also know that that's OK. I know i can still make a living at screenwriting with the talent that i possess.

-- I try to write every day, even if it's only a few lines. Little by little, i know i'll finish ... eventually. :-)

potdoll said...

I'm suddenly feeling very sheepish after reading this post...

Christian H. said...

-- I'm not as hard on myself as i used to be. I know that i'm not a genius & my scripts aren't masterpieces. But i also know that that's OK. I know i can still make a living at screenwriting with the talent that i possess.

That maybe part of your problem. The reason why a lot of writers get disillusioned is that they DO think they are a genius and bad feedback affects them more, but you have think good thoughts.


There is at least ONE person who will think your script is brilliant.

Lianne said...

"I'm suddenly feeling very sheepish after reading this post..." Me too, Pots!

My desktop is littered with half-written ideas and scripts but I do find I come back to them from time to time and sometimes, suddenly, something has clicked and the idea will come together. It's frustrating, but I've just had to accept that this is the way I work. I can't over plan things because I lose interest. I need to let ideas and characters percolate in my head for weeks, months, sometimes even years! But the only way I know whether or not I'm ready to tackle a particular idea is to write something down for it. Hence files that might contain a half-written outline, or some character sketches, a few scenes or maybe even several scenes. It's not an ideal way of working but none of it is wasted.

Anonymous said...

This is a good point. I wanted to add that I also have a hard time after I actually finish a script.

After spending at least two months on something it's rough to send it to someone and have them say "no thanks" Then it's back to the drawing board.

Two(+) months to write, one day to get rejected.

Team Brindle said...

"That maybe part of your problem. The reason why a lot of writers get disillusioned is that they DO think they are a genius and bad feedback affects them more, but you have think good thoughts.


There is at least ONE person who will think your script is brilliant."


Thanks for the kid words, Christian. But i don't go for "brilliant" anymore.

In my last post i was talking past tense. In the PAST i would put unreasonable pressure to make my work "great", "brilliant", "genius" etc... whatever over-the-top superlative you want to use.

I had unreasonable standards. I think a lot of people do. This attitude can be paralyzing. They think that if they can't produce a "masterpiece" they're an embarrassing failure.

I've gotten over that feeling. I still have high standards but they aren't unreasonable anymore.

I now go for "very good", "commercial", "professional", "competent".

It seems to work better for me than "brilliant" or great.

The reality is, you don't have to be an incredibly brilliant genius who produces stunningly original work on an unparalleled level!

I've dveloped my craft over the yrs. I'm confident i have commercial ideas & do pretty good work. And if i like my ideas/scripts, i know someone else will too.

:-) Laura

Christian H. said...

Laura,

I don't mean be blind to any flaws but you do have an excellent way of determining what is "brilliant."
It's mostly a matter of thinking what this ONE PERSON would want to see.
Any person, someone you know, or work for, or date.

WHen I want to come up with an idea, I stop thinking about the story and think about what I saw yesterday (not directly), but from a blank mind you can more easily hit on an idea.

Another thing to do is to brainstorm at least once a week on nothing but story ideas. No writing , no research, no nothing but thinking. I mean your chances are better if you can work out a good deal of 10 movies rather than just one or two.

From what I've seen out here, a spec is just a resume and if you can run several ideas when they ask, then you'll be taken more seriously.

Right now, I am kicking around about 30 stories. I'm only scripting 2 at a time but I like to keep working on lots of projects so I keep my mind active.

As I was on Screenplayswanted.blogspot.com I found that reading those gives some good "story food."

I am writing a couple of shorts also. Those are really good practice. It gives you less pages to write and you can concentrate on the content.

Team Brindle said...

Christian:
"Another thing to do is to brainstorm at least once a week on nothing but story ideas. No writing , no research, no nothing but thinking. I mean your chances are better if you can work out a good deal of 10 movies rather than just one or two."

I do something like this too. I have idea-fests where i do nothing but come up with movie ideas.

I don't know why it is, but i get my ideas in bunches. I come up with 10-15 movie ideas, usually in the same genre, in a 1 or 2 day span.

Last yr i decided i wanted to try writing a Rom Com & came up with maybe 20 ideas. Only a few were keepers.

I think this is an excellent ability to have. Not sure it comes easily to everyone. But everyone should try it.

Sit down & force yourself to come up with say 10 ideas. If you're lucky, maybe 2 will be keepers.

I agree w/ the notion that we have to be idea factories. We need to have tons of ideas in our notebook (or comp file, or whatever you use :-). I have over 200 ideas in my notebook.

If there are writers out there who only have 2 or 3 ideas... or worse, 1 BIG ONE... they need to rev it up & start cranking out those ideas.

Genereating movie ideas is part of being a professional writer. You are seriously limiting your marketability if you only have 1 or 2... and then don't have the ability to come up with others when the need arises.