My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Ask the Wave-inatrix

Here are some questions sent to the Wave-inatrix last week, apropos of the Ask the Wave-inatrix All Request Line:

Belzecue asked whether swearing in action lines is a problem and whether too much profanity in action lines (versus dialogue in this instance) could get a PASS for the writer.

If the language in the action lines is in step with the tone of the script it’s really not a problem. The only time I have seen profanity in action lines which really did impact the read were extremely misogynistic, sexual references to women, either as a nickname or just referring to an act. I have had clients do that and what I tell them is this: maybe that’s something you and your buddies say at a party while drunk, but that term or reference is a bit shocking and any female exec reading that will possibly throw your script across the room because it’s not just profane – it’s insulting and demeaning.

So the short answer, Belzecue, is swearing in action lines is fine as long as it’s in keeping tonally. And yes, a writer can get a PASS for being shockingly, insultingly profane but that’s primarily attributable to the fact that I’ve never seen that type of writing coexist with a well executed, compelling, entertaining script. Go figure.

Writer0825 asks if a script will only get read if it gets a “consider” and after you’ve queried and gotten the okay to send the script, what happens next.

Well, Writer, after you query and get a thumbs up on sending, the script will usually get read first by either an intern, assistant or reader. Unless you’ve sent to a very small, very hands-on company in which case the person who answered the phone and your query is the same person who’ll read and is also the same person who’ll then write your rejection letter or pass the script up to their boss.

Most typically though, at a production company, your script gets read by an assistant or reader. The scripts are logged in carefully and the reader or assistant has usually maybe three to four days to get the script read and the coverage returned. If the script gets a “consider” or “consider with reservation” it will get passed up to the creative executive next up the line from the assistant. The exec will read the coverage notes briefly and if they’re grabbed by that, they’ll read the synopsis. If they’re grabbed by that, they’ll take the script home and read it that weekend.

If the opinion of the exec is wildly disparate from the reader or assistant – heads roll. Execs hate reading on weekends if the script is no good. If the exec enjoys the read and agrees with the initial coverage, they’ll take it to a meeting with the next CE over them. Dependent upon the size of the company, this might be the Head of Development or this might be a more senior exec or even a weekly status meeting. If the others agree that the material sounds promising, the exec will call your manager or agent and probably ask to meet with you personally.

At an agent or manager, the process is similar but shorter. The reader or assistant reads the script and if it gets a “consider” or “consider with reservation” it gets handed up to the manager/agent who responded to the query in the first place. If they like the read, they’ll phone you up and ask to meet you.

If your script gets a PASS then it’s definitely down the bad egg chute and pronto. It won’t get looked at by anybody beyond that. Which is why assistants and readers are truly the gatekeepers.

Mike Scherer asks when sending out queries whether to include an SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) or a SASP (self-addressed, stamped postcard) and if it’s a postcard, which boxes to include for checking: no thanks, yes please or what else do you have.

In my opinion, Mike, go with the SASE. It’s classic, it’s standard and in my opinion, the SASP is a bit cutesy. Nothing wrong with the SASP; if that’s your style, go for it. I can’t imagine why you’d put a “what else do you have” box because if they’ve gotten the query and aren’t interested, why would they be interested in anything else you have at that point? Sometimes if you get someone on the phone and are able to pitch your query, you might be able to establish a relationship in just a few short minutes and be able to pitch one or two more queries but when it comes to an SASP, I’d lean toward leaving that one off. But – there are no rules in Hollywood and it may or may not be effective but you certainly won’t offend anyone. I do think you have a better chance of ever seeing your SAS-anything if it’s an envelope. I have some clients who designed a very artful postcard, with great graphics and funny boxes to check. It must have cost a fortune. Of the dozens of postcards they sent out (and yes they were stamped) they only received one or two back. And these are great writers with a great script.

Adam Scott asks what my process is for fleshing out a script idea and then further, writing a treatment, outlining, etc.

Adam, I will include a link here about the early process of fleshing out an idea as well as a link to clarify the difference between a logline and a premise line. Additionally, here is a link to how to write a treatment.

Yes, I do outline, I use a 12 sequence narrative and I use it religiously. I keep meaning to write a blog post about the sequential narrative and you have inspired me to take that subject on in the near future. There are different ways of approaching a sequential narrative; some use an 8 sequence narrative and others the 12. I believe I have heard of an odd number methodology but the memory is too faint to note it here. In the mean time, I highly recommend Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach by Paul Joseph Gulino.

Ernest asked me to share more fun malapropisms and typos.

I encounter entertaining malapropisms just about daily. Most of the ones I’ve used as examples came from scripts I read at prodcos in an effort to be both kind and confidential to my private clients. I did just read about a creature, terrorizing some children. He jumped off an embankment and “landed on his magnanimous feet.” I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the writer meant instead of magnanimous. A cupcake to the first Waver who can figure that one out. Other than that, my dear Ernest, I am reminded to compile some good ones for a fun blog down the line.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

6 comments:

Belzecue said...

“landed on his magnanimous feet.”

Perhaps this was a per-copy watermark word like Jackson's Lovely Bones script.

At a guess, I'd say the writer aimed for 'magnificent' but got betrayed by their wordprocessor auto-completion feature.

Emily Blake said...

I think I can be of service since I spend all day interpreting similar mistakes by teenage writers.

I believe he meant "enormous" and wanted to be creative and use a word that's not overused. "Magnum" is usually associated with large things so he combined the two words.

He should have just said "huge".

Unknown said...

Thank you for these answers.

magnanimous feet. Ummm, he had generous feet?!?

I look forward to the sequential narrative post.

Cheers

DougJ said...

Was the script titled "The Magnanimous Seven"?

Anonymous said...

"a creature, terrorizing some children. He jumped off an embankment and landed on his magnanimous feet."


The creature waits for vulnerable prey. Body aches to the bone, legs weary of this hunt. Insatiable pathological lust for children consumes the creatures mind.

Two children chase one another into the meadow. Primal hunger overtakes body, the creature leaps from the embankment.

An ankle jarring thud startles the children. Prey within grasp the creature rises with magnanimous feet.

Team Brindle said...

Julie:
"I use a 12 sequence narrative and I use it religiously. I keep meaning to write a blog post about the sequential narrative and you have inspired me to take that subject on in the near future."

Please, please,please post about this. I use a 12 seq method too.

Everyone always goes on & on about the 3 act structure, when in fact, the sequential method is much more useful in actually writing your screenplay.

Thanks, great site. :-)

~Laura