My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Dumb Mistakes I Have Made

The Wave-inatrix spends a lot of time giving advice about what NOT to do. Today, Wavers, I will share some of the bitter, embarrassing and painful mistakes I have made. Burnished in the fires of these missteps, I offer them to relate and identify with newer writers, to serve as a cautionary tale and surely everybody needs a good mid-week belly laugh. Go ahead, laugh. Because Wavers, these dumb moves only made me a better writer today. And passing on tips to you, my readership, is my passion and my mission. Read 'em and weep.

Wrote a feature script after having only read one book on screenwriting and nary a produced script. Figured that was good enough. Script clocked in at 72 pages.

Boldfaced and highlighted every slug line, thinking that made them easier to read.

Indicated my favorite songs and lyrics in Super Cool Scenes. Practically made myself cry because these scenes were just SO poignant and beautiful. To me.

Gave script to an unkind, disinterested party for notes. Got notes. Almost died.

Bought a Hollywood Creative Directory, started with the letter “A”, called every phone number, alphabetically asking sweetly if that company would like to read my super wonderful romantic comedy. Got hung up on a lot. Got some script requests. Go out to dinner to celebrate this huge step toward a WGA membership and Academy Award. Spend piles of money copying and mailing scripts. Never heard from companies again.

Wrote another script, got it to a “manager” in LA who was mysteriously never able to meet in person. Was okay with that for months until she dumped me and I discovered no one had read my script anyway.

Wrote a television spec, gave it to the Head of TV development at Fox, a cousin, and asked him to give it directly to the show. He did. I was not aware that you should never send a spec for a show to that show. Got a curt, acidic call from a producer on the show telling me how much the script sucked.

Had a lunch meeting with a manager, ordered soup so it would be easier to talk and not be chewing or dealing with firmer food. Soup was very spicy; wound up making a scene by gulping ice cold water and coughing.

Had a meeting with a manager, held ice-cold water bottle in my right hand figuring it would stop my hand from being sweaty when we shook hands. We shook hands and the manager grimaced – my hand was freezing and dripping wet.

Had meeting with a manager about a romantic comedy. Sit on deep, slippery leather couch where I take on the posture of Yoda and notice that every script on his shelves was action-thrillers. Wonder why he never calls me back.

Pushed to have meeting with agent who is a friend of a friend. Realize three minutes into the meeting that I have little to say or offer, endure awkward fifteen minutes, leave knowing I wasted his time and mine and worse, that I burnt that connection for good.

Optioned a script to a “producer” for $500. During lunch, she was thrown out of the restaurant for making a scene over her turkey sandwich. Script was never read by anyone she said it would be. Let her re-option it for free for another six more months before realizing this.

Joined screenwriting message board and began posting witty repartee and merry rejoinders thinking that open, honest, helpful posts are desirable. Got “flamed” to a crisp. Have to look up “flamed” to confirm.

Entered scripts in every contest that will take my entry fee, even win a couple. Wonder why nothing happens after that. Research contest administrators, find nothing; no connections, no reputation and no track record.

Wavers, my story shifted into a higher, more professional gear after these experiences and continues to do so. Today I am a repped writer with a whip-smart and professional writing partner, with a psychological thriller being read by A-list actresses and A-list production companies.

Suffice it to say that if the Wave-inatrix can help even one Rouge Waver avoid some of these dumb mistakes, as God as her witness, she will. And Wavers, know that the Wave-inatrix does not judge because she has gone before you and paved the way, hogging all the embarrassment for herself.





If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

7 comments:

ASA said...

Julie - this was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I remember falling into the old 'dream-sequence opening' for one of my first screenplays, believing I had successfully reinvented the wheel...Oh, brother - major error.

And I think it goes to show that most writers have more than that "one chance" they always hear about.

Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.

Nice post...

writer0825 said...

Ok, first I'll "whew!" as I wipe my brow. I'm tried just reading it...you lived this!!! Now you can look back and laugh at some of it. Lessons learned, but you're a better writer because of it all...and when is the movie version of all of this coming out, starring Kate Hudson???

Julie Gray said...

Well, I should have included, Writer, that this trajectory took place over the course of about eight years. So it wasn't all at once. Just one sad story at a time. Tomorrow I will add part II: what happened after that, or, as I like to call it - Things Get Much Better. As for Kate - we're in talks :)

Chris said...

Did the BOLD sluglines on my first draft too. Also, CUT TO: between every scene. Which is weird because I don't recall reading any William Goldman scripts until after I wrote that draft. And, like every first script, it sucked. But not so bad that with a little cleaning up, version 1.1 got to the finals of a small fellowship contest. Didn't get the fellowship but that confidence boost was enough to propel me out here to give it a shot for real.

Belzecue said...

My first 'query' letter...

- Conceive Mad Max 4 story
- Write a one-page synopsis
- Attach synopsis to a query letter
- Send query letter to Kennedy Miller Productions
- Wait for George Miller to call and tell me me how my idea had rocked his world
- Get a polite, perfunctory reply from the janitor (may as well have been) saying letter returned unread, but thanks and good luck

I'm almost tempted to quote from my query letter for everyone's amusement. Ugggh. I think not. I will keep that letter forever -- a reminder that enthusiasm is but the first step down a long, winding road.

annabel said...

Thanks! I can't help liking you more and more!

peb said...

Hey Julie,

Once again. Thanks for sharing. You are always there to give me (us) the push/inspiration to take it to the next level.

All the best

peb