My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Just Another Day

What does the Wave-inatrix get up to all day long? And just where does she get her kooky examples? Did the Wave-inatrix really play a doctor on TV? Coffee or tea? Fries or chips?

Rouge Wavers - today is your big day. Well, not really. But here’s my typical reading breakdown in case you wondered: 25% scripts from a prominent script reading service, 25% Script Whisperer clients, 25% production company scripts, 25% procrastination, Rouge Waving, gone fishing.



The scripts I see at the script reading service are, by far, the worst as far as originality and execution. The. Worst. That means, quality level = sea of red ink. This is where all of my bad examples come from. This is the part of what I do that gives me an eye twitch. There are extremely rare exceptions. Overall, the medication is helping with the outbursts and involuntary spasms and I have Dr. Katz to thank for that.

The Script Whisperer scripts are, interestingly, fairly high in quality. Perhaps writers willing to invest in a real, live, fun, clever, super nice blogger-lady consultant have already invested a lot of heart, soul, education and time into their writing. It would seem so. And if the script is not so great, the Wave-inatrix smiles kindly and we use it as a learning experience. This is the part of the Wave-inatrix’s job that brings her the most joy. Now, now, don’t be jealous, Wavers! I heart the RW as well.

Production company scripts are quite often but not exclusively high quality. These scripts have been vetted by agents or managers and then pitched for the read. So by the time I wind up with the script, it’s already been through the ringer. This is really fun because I read scripts that you are going to see in the theater in a couple of years. I read scripts by A-list writers. I read the stuff people are talking about in the trades.

The rest of the time, when the Wave-inatrix is not doing silly things like reading, riding her bike, getting blue manicures or blogging, she is working hard – for you. I network, build relationships, answer the copious (and growing) emails received daily and generally - I work it. I have been able to get reads for a stable of my particularly gifted clients at Bedford Falls, Walden and Circle of Confusion. Yesterday I pitched two scripts to an exec at Seed Productions. I’m getting good at the pitching. One part earnestness, one part charm, two parts being in love with the work you’re pitching = good pitch.

My blog posts are sometimes well thought-through and planned and sometimes they just burst forth like Alien. It’s SIDLES!!! A Rouge Waver emailed yesterday and implored me to get out of his head (hi Jim); it seems the Wave-inatrix has habitually posted eerily prescient blogs which reflect the events in his life at the moment. Four words: Is this a movie?

Rouge Wavers need never fear that their work would be exploited, used as an example or otherwise mocked in the blog. Unless you send your work to a big script reading service. Then you’re fair game. The Wave-inatrix figures it like this: I just don’t get paid enough to read work so far below industry standards that I get vertigo just thinking about it….hold on…sorry. Okay I’m back. Speed dialed Dr. Katz.

Rouge Wavers, these bad scripts cannot die an ignoble death having meant nothing! So I drag them out of the morgue late at night and use them as examples for all. They are martyrs for the cause. Look and learn!

Enjoy Friday, enjoy the weekend, raise your hand if you will be seeing REIGN OVER ME and as my new friend Manolo the Shoeblogger would say – muchos besos, you’re super fantastic!





If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

2 comments:

ratskiwatski said...

Wave-inatrix, Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo , hello, to you, too... I wasn't going to post here for a while because I need to get some serious (but not overserious [:-( ) work done, but the blog is, as usual, irresistable... count me in for "Reign Over Me" - deep cast, Who music, Adam Sandler getting ambitious again - I'm there... best of luck on the pitching, the very idea of which gives me the willies... and yes, it could absolutely be a movie, any kind of genre - except maybe a Western... laptop on a horse = Hell On A Hard Drive... hey, there's a title right out of the service pile! Consider it a gift. Remember, it's the thoughtlessness that counts!

Christina said...

Oh my. First off, I was big Boing fan in high school. Second, I just saw your Sidecar recipe. My favorite drink!!!