My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How to Piss off a Reader...fast

Rouge Wavers, it is probably evident by now that the Wave-inatrix is a good natured creature fond of cocktails and long naps. But once in awhile, there is something that crops up in scripts that sends me into the stratosphere: malapropisms.

Just today, in one script I read:

He takes a leek
The living room boarders the dining room
"You are so sweat!"
He saddles up to her at the bar.

That last one, Rouge Wavers, was when the Wave-inatrix lost it. It's SIDLES! SIDLES!!!!!!

Some of these errors are the result of not proofreading the work carefully. Others are ignorance and laziness. But honestly, it doesn't matter. Once a reader is thoroughly pissed off at the writer, the coverage just cannot be good. Readers try to do no harm and be professional but let's face it, we are people, and most of us are writers. We love writing. And we do it a lot.

Language is to a writer what the scalpel is to the surgeon. This is our instrument. And a writer that does not know how to wield his or her words is demonstrating to the reader a level of hubris that is unbelievable. Writing is not easy. Writing well is a damn miracle. Most of us have worked so hard and for so many years that when we see a dilettante (a person who takes up an art, activity, or subject merely for amusement, esp. in a desultory or superficial way; dabbler.) abuse the privilege it makes our blood boil.

Don't let your script describe you as a desultory, superficial dabbler. We all make mistakes, god knows, and the occasional typo or spelling error is to be expected. God knows I still have to correct my it's and my its. But when these types of errors occur all over your script you have just received the kiss of death from a reader. The black spot. The death knell. Because now we are pissed. And we will punish you in the coverage.

As an aside, and perhaps other readers can chime in, I have never seen a great story, executed well that had more than one or two typos, spelling errors, grammatical oops or malapropisms. Doesn't happen. There seems to be a direct relationship between skill, story and voice.

Other than getting your work proofread and using your spell checker exhaustively how can writers prevent the appearance of malapropisms or grammatical errors? Lynne Truss has written a great book called Eats, Shoots & Leaves which makes a great desk companion, there is also The Little, Brown Handbook which is the Wave-inatrix fave, or good old Strunk & White's Elements of Style.



Being a writer is more than going all Hemingway and drinking white wine with your oysters. It's more than gazing out into the pasture from your attic window while you ponder. It's more than socking down shots of espresso at the local coffee house and staring at a blank screen. There is some skill involved. Some boring skills that nobody wants to deal with. If you want a reader to take you seriously, do your homework.

Nobody cares about the occasional spelling error or comma misuse - but boy do we get pissed when you don't even care enough to try. Writing is not for the faint of heart. But in the same way that you wouldn't expect to become a lawyer because you like to argue, you can't expect to be a writer without having a command of the language. Do try.

If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

9 comments:

annabel said...

"Eats Shoots and Leaves" is an excellent reference. I might just pull it from my shelf, dust it off, and give it another read.

Julie Gray said...

Having suddenly grown paranoid about my own wobbly relationship with punctuation and grammar, I am pulling my copy off the shelf too, Annabel! And ordering a brand, spanking new copy of the Little, Brown Handbook as well. I don't have to worry about pissing off readers but I can't call the kettle black!

Emily Blake said...

I once offered to proofread scripts for comprehension, grammar and spelling for $40 a pop. In five months of making that available I had a bunch of people tell me it was a good idea, and not a single one actually take me up on it.

Everybody thinks they can do it themselves.

wcmartell said...

I *love* these - they are not only funny, sometimes they trigger a high concept idea. Using the wrong word opens a door that you never knew was there.

If you've proofred your script a dozen times and want to find all the missed typos, just send a copy to someone who can make or break your career. Suddenly, you'll notice a half dozen typos that you never saw before.

- Bill

Chris said...

I was in the Herrick Library reading the script for my favorite rom-com written by someone else and there were more than a few. But mostly "they're" v. "their" v. "there" problems as I recall. I was a little shocked but it didn't overly detract from the story for me. Maybe things that a spellchecker wouldn't necessarily catch.

One thing I learned as a lawyer is there's no substitute for printing it out and proofreading with pen in hand. You will never catch everything onscreen.

Scott the Reader said...

I had a good one today:

"He is dressed in what can be described as gaudy tourist sheik."

I wish this meant that he was wearing a robe, badly sadly this wasn't the case.

ratskiwatski said...

Thanks; all, for the remindre too bye "Eats Shoots and Leafs", i keep forgeting. too...

I've tried not to let poor grammar drive me nutbaggy, but it's so tough, especially when I get caught out on my own sloppiness. Somewhere along the line I started saying "different than" instead of "different from." It sounds dumb, but... what a flippin' struggle to correct years of slothful thinking on small things! Grr. I'm also trying to train myself to get commas just right. I get a little idosyncratic with them.

Now if I could tame my ellipis addiction... Ellipses are crack. But they're hell on the page count.

JPS said...

Years ago I was preparing a typescript to send to my publisher in the UK. The line was supposed to read: "He wagged his finger at Harry". It came out as "He wagged his giner at Harry", and I am deeply pleased I caught it before sending it out.

--M. said...

"All intensive purposes." Read that in an M. Night Shyamalan script.