My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.justeffing.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Mini-W Reviews: Friday the 13th


Going into the new FRIDAY THE 13TH remake, starring Jared Padalecki (from SUPERNATURAL and before that, GILMORE GIRLS) and Amanda Righetti, I prepared myself for the worst. I expected a Rob Zombie-esque let down, like the recent HALLOWEEN remake. Much to my surprise, I was wrong.

It was the perfect mix of sticking to the original story and modifying the fear effect. There was plenty accuracy for us fanatics out there, yet it was considerably scarier to see the new Jason Voorhees. For you readers out there who aren’t quite familiar with the series, Jason Voorhees was a boy who drowned in a lake at camp when his counselors weren’t paying attention. Since then, his mother has encouraged him to seek vengeance on any teens who dare to tread upon the grounds of the infamous Camp Crystal Lake. (My mom worked on a project with the Jason from the third movie and said he was "eccentric" - whatever that means; I'm jealous I didn't meet him). But anyway, donning a hockey mask to hide his deformed face, Jason becomes a killing machine with amazing strength. Although he has been killed many times, Jason never dies. He always comes back. This modern rendition of FRIDAY THE 13TH is truly a good horror movie. For anyone who likes horror even just a little, this is a must-see. Although be warned, it is, like all the other films in the series, quite graphic and violent (but still totally worth seeing).

I would give this film a 5 out of 5 jelly beans.

The Mini-W is a 15 year-old high school sophomore who has probably seen more horror movies than you have. When not reviewing movies for The Rouge Wave, she enjoys Facebook, playing with her dogs and dreaming about the day she never has homework again. She would like to give a special shout-out to Tony in Santa Monica today, and knows that she'll be better soon.


If you enjoyed this post, follow me on Twitter or subscribe via RSS.

No comments: